Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mom, you were .....

My husband and I are adopting a baby. Or possibly a toddler. She'll be a she. A little bundle of attitude, just waiting to grow up and tell me that I'm wrong about everything and I don't know nothin'. I know she'll do this because my mother said she would. My mother has been saying this for years, since I was thirteen at least. Mum would say "You wait. You'll grow up and have a daughter and she'll tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. And then you'll know that I was right". So, I've been anticipating this event.

Not so much the event of having a child. Or having a child that tells me that I'm wrong. The event that I will have to admit to my mother that she is right. So Im gonna start right now. Publicly. (I'm safe here, because my mother doesn't know how to use a computer and will likely never read this blog) OK. Here goes...."MUM. YOU WERE RIGHT. I am going to have a daughter and she is going to grow up and tell me that I'm wrong about everything and I don't know nothin'".

(But I'm also really excited that we're gonna have a baby)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter used to think I was great. Now I go day to day wondering if this is the day of the week that she'll even like me. Thankfully, I've got a little boy that hasn't hit the teen years yet and he still loves me. Oh yeah, get used to this. Your daughter will ALWAYS think her Dad is cool. She's just always so afraid that I might do something uncool (like impose a curfue) to embarrass her.